Pesto is a quick and easy sauce you can use on many things from pasta to green beans. You can make pesto from other greens besides basil (for example, mustard greens) and use a variety of nuts from pine nuts, pecans to walnuts. What is key to a good pesto is to toast the nuts.
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces, toasted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- In a food processor, blend together all ingredients without oil and then add oil and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate leftover Pesto up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.
If you want parmesan cheese, just sprinkle on each portion you use.
Oilve oil can be cut by 25% and could go 50% when replacing basil with mustard greens.